e-belarus.org logo

Order E-Belarus News:

Search E-Belarus.ORG:


Belarus Mobile Users, January 01, 2008 Belarus Mobile Users, April 01, 2010

MTS to launch operations in June

Author: Mikhail Doroshevich


MTS, the Belarusian and Russian joint venture, will start operating in June, according to Eduard Makaryev, the general director.

The company was set up after Russia's MTS won a tender for a licence to provide GSM 900/1800 standard cellular services in Belarus last September.

MTS is planning to cover the city of Minsk, the area around Minsk airport and suburbs initially. The next step will be to provide coverage along highways and railroads that connect Minsk to major Belarusian cities.

MTS is the second GSM standard mobile operator in Belarus after Mobile Digital Communications (MDC), part of Velcom.

MTS has been building its network infrastructure since April 4, when it was registered as a limited liability company with authorised capital stock of E5.5m. The Belarussian state company Intercity Communications holds 51 per cent and Russia's MTS owns the other 49 per cent of the capital.

The Russian company plans to invest about E220m in the construction of a new network in Belarus over the next decade, including E80m by the end of 2003.

Useful links:


Bookmark and Share

This information may be reproduced provided that E-Belarus.org is given as the source.

E-Belarus.ORG, 2001-2011